Yesterday afternoon, the copy guy was servicing our copier while I was working in my office. I came out to sign the paperwork and we started talking. He told me about the shooting at NIU, which is right up the road from us. I couldn't believe it. Another public shooting???
He was angry that anyone could think they could just shoot people to declare how depressed they were, to get famous before they shot themselves. And at first I thought he was being simplistic, because I remember feeling compassion for the Virginia Tech shooter. But now, I've gotten jaded. And I found myself agreeing with the copy guy. How can people think they can do this? What has happened in our culture that this has become a viable and popular (!) option?
After he left, I went into the sanctuary for a while. Played some hymns... in preparation for my Holy Week planning meeting with the music director, but they also became a prayer for NIU and all the victims and families.
As a Christian, I know I should have some compassion left, but I think there is also an expectation of responsibility in the words of the Bible. We are responsible for our own morality. We are responsible for each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment