This is my new communion kit -- for celebrating the Eucharist with people in the hospital or at home. I'm totally excited about it, I'm afraid in part, because I feel like a little girl with a new tea set. But ALSO, because packing bread and wine in my attache hasn't really worked so well in the past (i.e., spills, not as special-looking).I purchased it from a woman in Colorado who hand-makes them (or assembles them from handmade pieces made by other people) and gives the proceeds to charity. Many communion kits are made from mahogany, sterling silver, and crystal, and run $700-800. This one is ceramic and some kind of generic wood, and about $120. It's very simple and to be frank, a bit shoddy-looking. But maybe that's more like Jesus anyway. And it's sort of nice... you can tell everything was made by human beings.
Little ceramic vessels, some with imperfections in the glaze. And the lid on the pyx doesn't exactly stay on, so all the wafers or bread would fall out I think. Maybe if I set it inside just right? Packed it in with the communion linens?
The candles sit on tiny pegs, and detach to go back inside the box.(See first photo to see them lying inside the lid.) This detail is somewhat cheesey, and something I've never seen on "fancy" kits, but I like it. Makes the moment more liturgical, which is big stuff for us Episcopalians.
And aren't the tiny linens cute? (I know, I'm veering into tea set mode, here.)
The wine cruet (with the stopper) is also obviously going to be prone to spillage (and hard to clean). Sigh. But I also have a little glass jar included, with a screw-top, so that will be good. Hmm, seems I haven't avoided the spilling problem I have with my attache. Hmm.Adam took these pictures with his fancy-pants camera and black background thing. Soon we're getting a Canon G9 that I will get to be custodian of, so more photos will return to the blog soon...

That's pretty cool, B-Day girl!
ReplyDeleteYour little screw top bottle might be best for the wine but you could probably put the wafers in a small snack bag (or snag a wafer-bag from the box and twist it) and then the bag would help the wafers stay in the travel-ceborium. I like its simplicity a lot! And you are right about it being very human-- what a lovely touch. I am so pleased for you!
ReplyDeleteHeidi, I love this post: what it's about, the pros and cons of your set, and the personality of your writing.
ReplyDeleteIf I were in the hospital and you brought that set, I would take it very seriously. Even if the fold-away candles are kinda cheesy! I would think, my Church comes to me, and be very grateful.
You will be the blessing to everyone you take it to.
I'm a potter and I think this is a great set. It is what it is meant to be a "traveling communion set". I have made many of these for priest friends of mine. I always remember that Christ was a carpenters son and would have had a simple clay chalice at his disposal. Nice idea. I have been by your church many times over the years. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteChuck Flagg
Thanks, Chuck! I took a look at your pottery website and you have lovely things. You're always welcome at St. Benedict.
ReplyDelete