Friday, February 01, 2008

The Friday Five

This post comes from the Friday Five from Rev Gal Blog Pals who asks: The Superbowl--love it or hate it? List 5 reasons why.

I actually don't love OR hate the SuperBowl. If I get invited to a party, I usually go and eat all that wonderful food - salsa, guacamole, chicken wings, things made with bacon and cream cheese... but if I don't, then I'm just as happy to sit at home and forget the whole thing's happening.

Generally, I find football very comforting -- which must sound odd. But listening to it in the background reminds me of the men in my family, either my dad watching on his own with a big bowl of popcorn (that he popped himself - NO microwave corn for him!) on his lap and a beer, or my dad, grandpa, and uncles hanging around over Thanksgiving or Christmas, talking, eating nuts, drinking beer, eating summer sausage, and laughing with each other. Hearing the announcer's voice, seeing all the men in helmets running on the green field: it makes me feel like all must be right in the world.

So, I don't have 5 reasons; just musings on food and family.

I don't know if I'll watch this year... unless Adam has made plans that I don't know about. This is going to be a crazy weekend -- I'm going to the consecration of our new bishop on Saturday, which should take up most of the day. Then I've decided to wait to write my sermon until AFTER the consecration, so that I can refer to it, so that will be Saturday night. Then we're baptizing a baby at St. Benedict's on Sunday morning, and I need to make sure I walk through that so I don't look up and realize that I don't know where to stand or which direction the baby should face.

But it will all be pretty fun, I think.

Oh yeah, and sometime I need to start planning this wedding thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment