Hooray!
While I was downtown yesterday for "Fresh Start," a new clergy gathering and workshop, I found out about two more possible jobs. One is another assistant position and the other is a full-time solo position. Both are in the western suburbs.
Very exciting. I'm relieved to have more places to put my anticipatory energy than just St. X, (a neighbor of mine, who is also applying there, just received an email from the rector, who reported that they are still reviewing applications and listening for the Spirit). I probably should've worked harder to expand my search a few weeks ago, but better late than never.
I'm very intrigued by the possibility of working on my own again. Maybe this time for more than twelve people (although I really loved those twelve people). I just think there's something powerful in churches with less than 100 members, a "something" than can grow into something more. I've heard too many clergy disparage small churches, say they're "dying" and blame them for all their problems, rather than look for ways to help them become something more. Seems like a kind of "sizism" to me. Jesus didn't have a problem with his twelve people. As one priest pointed out at the new clergy day, Jesus berated the crowds that followed him rather than encourage them to fill out new member cards.
I could rant some more, but I will stop.
well good. you can't discern between one after all!
ReplyDeleteso glad to hear this.
Options are a good thing. I hate being locked into one thing.
ReplyDelete"I've heard too many clergy disparage small churches, say they're "dying" and blame them for all their problems, rather than look for ways to help them become something more."
ReplyDeleteHow sad for them. I have been part-compensation (67% of minimum) rector of a family-size congregation for 13+ years and while we have our challenges numerically (ASA now is 41), their ministry is just as important as a corporate-size congregation. Moreover, when you're the only staff person, you work plenty hard even if it is 'part-time.' (I don't say PT because priesthood is not.)
Prayers for your continued discernment.
Also, if any search committees read this blog, they should know that Heidi is totally awesome. She connects with all ages of peoples, works hard, and loves local community. She has special expertise in spiritual practices and Pauline theology. She is a home-town Chicagoan and enthusiastic convert to Episcopalianism. Please hire her; you won't regret it.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jon!
ReplyDelete