Advice for Sabbath-keeping (clergy or otherwise!): sit, be quiet, and make sure you have enough silence stored up inside yourself to be a sane and compassionate person during the week.
Monday, April 14, 2008
At home on my day off
There are many ways pastors may choose to rejuvenate themselves on their sabbath day. So, a few methods I am learning are listed below, since frantic housework, errands, and too many social visits with friends (much as I love them), haven't been doing the trick. Some rambling commentary is included.
Sunset watching. Despite power lines. (Adam and I will probably get a two-bedroom together when we get married, but if I lose this view...! I hope we can get another forest-preserve-facing place.)
Sliced orange. (I've been trying to eat more fruit... it's just I have this personal problem with not eating toast with honey and coffee for breakfast. Cereal, sometimes. So, maybe fruit in the afternoon/evening could work. And sometimes with peanut butter?)
Knitting. This is acrylic yarn. I used to be a wool yarn snob. But I finished a scarf at the conference in Vancouver, and didn't have enough wool to start another one. So my dear Aunt Beth, who lives out there, gave me some yarn from an unfinished sweater... I thought the texture was pretty cool-looking. She meant it to look like the ocean. And I've probably become an acrylic-convert. (Anyone want some wool yarn?)
Did some tidying up, but not too much. I actually find it relaxing to wash floors, so I washed the kitchen and bathroom floors (the bathroom is the size of a Manhattan apartment, I swear -- it takes 5 minutes to walk from the door to the toilet! That floor took me the whole of Marketplace on NPR.) I was going to vacuum, but then I found I needed to sit and do nothing some more. Another day.
Advice for Sabbath-keeping (clergy or otherwise!): sit, be quiet, and make sure you have enough silence stored up inside yourself to be a sane and compassionate person during the week.
Advice for Sabbath-keeping (clergy or otherwise!): sit, be quiet, and make sure you have enough silence stored up inside yourself to be a sane and compassionate person during the week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Silence really IS golden.
ReplyDelete