Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sermoning at Caribou

I wanted to take a picture of this Caribou Coffee just for a visual of where I am, but I forgot the cable to upload photos onto my laptop. Suffice it to say that I can see a lot of rustic-looking, unpainted wood, a fireplace, and many objects with antlers. I have a beat-up leather chair and a stuffed bear footrest!

I have two sermons to write this weekend, and I'm praying for a deep enough well of the Spirit to find things to say that will actually mean something to people. Coffee is always good, and I wanted to get out of the house.

Down the street, a group of my parishioners are gathering up our church's collection of gifts and food for four needy local families. There's fog lying heavy near the ground. There's hardly anyone in the parking lot this morning -- people are probably sleeping or getting ready to go shopping at places other than Chipotle, Cartridge World, Aurelio's Pizza, and U.S. Cellular. The two girls in red tshirts behind the counter are staying busy doing little coffee tasks, and I'm sitting with my bible near the front window and thinking about Joseph, Ahaz, and Paul.

Then I'll need to find time to write a sermon about the birth of Jesus, to do our Sunday liturgy tomorrow, to practice with my thurifers (Episcopalese for incense-swinger), to practice singing parts of the liturgy, and to REST in between things. My parents are coming up on the 24th to hang out, cook dinner, come to our late service, and sleep over. I want to feel on top of things enough that I can really relax and spend time with them!

I hope you will make time for the things and people you love, too. (Especially all you my pastor-friends.)

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Some of my best work got done at coffee shops, esp. Peet's. Merry Christmas to you, too.

    ReplyDelete