Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ordination

I can't quite believe it, but I'm going to be ordained to the priesthood the day after tomorrow. A ton of family and friends are coming into town. Many carpools of people from St. Benedict's are coming. My first Eucharist is on Sunday. I'm overwhelmed and awed.

My vestments are already downtown, and now all I have to do is show up. Well, that and greet all the out-of-town folks who are coming in tomorrow. And get SOME sleep on Friday night (please God!). And make sure I know what I'm doing Sunday morning at the altar.

I think it's all just going to come in a big wave and I'm not going to know what hit me. I'm still not sure I know what ordination really means. (But I've always thought comprehension was overrated.) But then, I'll be doing this for the rest of my life, and over time it will become more and more natural. That's hard to imagine when so much of my life seems so very new and strange in so many ways... I've only lived in this apartment for four weeks! I've only been working at the church for a little more than two!

Anyway, I hope you will send thoughts and prayers my way this weekend. What a full season, and what a full Christmas, this will be! Spiritually, physically, emotionally... tiring and deeply rewarding. As long as I get sleep, I know I'll be fine.

7 comments:

  1. I had hoped to be with you in body on Saturday, but I will have to be with you in spirit. As I wend my way to KY I will be sending thoughts and prayers your way. Many blessings for a joyful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Heidi.

    Peace,
    Milton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep well, with dreams of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Today is the 5th anniversary of my ordination to the Priesthood. As a fellow Seabury alumn, I am happy for you on this blessed occasion.
    And don't worry, I still don't know what I am doing, either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats. I am still in a holding pattern myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi!

    I'm so proud of you. It was fun to see you deak-ed and I hope that tomorrow is a time of great blessing. We'll be praying for you! Jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm dropping in from Sarah+'s...congratulations! I was ordained two years ago Jan. 7.

    Prayers for you in your new ministry.

    ReplyDelete