Sunday, November 25, 2007

Retreat

It was a pretty gray few days...




I ended up coming home eighteen hours early. I felt surrounded by blankness. Maybe that could be a powerful spiritual experience, but I got kind of bored. I mean, it was beautiful in some ways -- I got some good pictures (borrowing Adam's fancy schmancy Canon EOS 300D). But I was restless and all the white skies, mist, colorless landscape, long nights, and empty hours got tough.

It's funny, because I love sitting around reading, thinking, writing, knitting, and taking walks. I have no trouble sitting still. But this time, I think my eagerness to begin a new thing didn't mix well with solitude and lack of sensory stimulation.

Here's the cabin where I stayed, through some trees. Again, note the colorlessness:


On this one, Adam helped me sauce up the color a bit. I do love big empty, grassy fields. This is why I can never leave the Midwest. I'm addicted to open, flat spaces and anything that looks like prairie.

And now, after some time in Iowa meeting Adam's family (which was great fun -- plus, it snowed three inches out there, so it was gorgeous), I've been reconnecting with my apartment, doing some prayer and reflection at home, and otherwise preparing myself for my first day of work, back in the realm of parish ministry.

2 comments:

  1. wow. some gorgeous pictures. i think it would be hard to be in grey blankness when your inner world is explosive with color.

    glad you had a good time with adam's family. and can't wait for the news of your beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:59 PM

    Those are awesome pictures! Your best yet. I think your retreat time was very fruitful. It makes me think about starting something new on a fresh clean piece of paper. The stark white blankness of that sometimes makes me want to leave it for something more visually stimulating - can be intimidating too. But that's where new works of art begin, yes?

    ReplyDelete