My week has been taken over by bishop candidates. A laywoman and I are taking turns "shepherding" Robert Koomson, or helping him navigate all the small group rooms and ins and outs of the "presentations" this week. These are forums at churches ALL over Chicago and northern Illinois that gives our eight (8!) candidates a chance to share their vision and answer lots of questions. Although I'm sure there is some element of a popularity contest here - who's wearing the sharpest outfit? who has the nicest haircut? who feels like my friend? who tells the funniest jokes? who is the priest I wish I could be or who I wish could be my parish priest? who makes the statement I want to make about our diocese and the church?
The question we should be asking is, of course: Who would be the best bishop for Chicago right now? Regardless of all those other factors, some of which actually are worth considering along the way, that is the question the Spirit wants to help us discern right now. Although I'm certainly not above getting lost in all those seventh-grade class-president type questions. I've been noticing haircuts and thinking about political statements more than I care to admit.
But how can we KNOW who would be the best bishop for Chicago? Well, we can read the diocesan profile. I was on the subcommittee that developed and wrote this evaluation of our diocese, its needs, its history, and its possibilities. I confess: it's kind of long (sorry about that!). But we tried to be honest and thorough.
In my own discernment, I'm thinking about how many churches we've closed in the past ten years, about the need for spreading the word about Jesus, getting publicity as the Episcopal Church, doing anti-racism work in our city, and spreading God's love as far around our churches as we can.
But I also like what the search committee offers on discernment (from the website):
"Prayerfully consider the ways in which each nominee might be called to be the bishop of Chicago." It's a good discipline to think about how EACH person might be called to be our bishop, even the candidates I'm not so sure about.
So, on Tuesday I drove across the city to Glen Ellyn. Tonight I'm driving across the city again to Palos Park. I'm crashing at my parents' house, and getting up early to cross the neighborhood to 63rd Street in Chicago. Then I'm deaconing at a friends' wedding! THEN I need to finish my sermon because I'm preaching Sunday morning. (My last Sunday at St. John's, where I've been serving as a deacon during my search process.) Then, after preaching at two services, I'm driving across the STATE to Dixon. Then I'm driving Robert home to Evanston. Then I am going to eat a mint-chocolate Haagan Dazs ice cream bar and fall asleep reading Kennon Callahan and/or Jane Austen.
Stick with Austen.
ReplyDeletei'm just finally catching up on my feeds.
ReplyDeletewow. your weekend was as crazy as mine. i had ben and jerry's pumpkin cheesecake ice cream i the midst of mine though.
i think now might be a good time for us to chat. of course, for some strange reason, i don't have your number programmed into my phone. i'm heading to a conference and will be on the road for three hours this afternoon and three hours tomorrow evening. if you want to call my cell i'd be honored!
Heidi,
ReplyDeleteI am a transitional deacon serving in Virginia, but was ordained in Philadelphia (vts grad)...
I enjoy reading your reflections and just love your picture! I feel just like you look quite often (I'm doing school ministry and also serving in a parish)...
Anyway, our paths may cross at some point (and I think some of your classmates from seabury western were at the preaching conference with my at Villanova...)
Anyway, may God's peace be with you!
Peter
my blog's at...
http://santospopsicles.blogspot.com
oh, also, I was wondering if you'll share any of your reflections on the bishop candidates?,...perhaps you can't in this forum, but I'd love to hear what you think...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Peter. I was on the search committee for our new bishop, so I don't feel it's right for me to offer reflections or thoughts on the individual nominees. The Spirit is moving among the people of Northern Illinois, and I pray we will be moved to pick the right person on Nov. 10. I hope you will pray for us!
ReplyDelete