Thursday, June 21, 2007

Ten Prayers God Says Yes To

This is from beliefnet.com ... and although I'm praying for a particular job right now, it probably would be better for me to pray some of these things than, "God, please let St. X in Cute Surbuban Town hire me!"

Some of these are even kind of hard. Do I really want to be an instrument? What will I have to give up? Who would I need to become? The generosity one gets me, too - I feel pretty poor right now, but I'm really not. And praying for courage, wisdom, and peace seems so unsatisfyingly abstract. But those are the things that make life satisfying, really, rather than a new job, new car, or a cute new outfit, loathe as I am to admit it.

God, Show Me That You Exist
God, Make Me an Instrument
God, Outdo Me in Generosity
God, Get Me Through This Suffering
God, Forgive Me
God, Give Me Peace
God, Give Me Courage
God, Give Me Wisdom
God, Bring Good Out of This Bad Situation
God, Lead Me to My Destiny

for some short reflections on each, check out Ten Prayers God Says Yes To

1 comment:

  1. I like "thy will be done" as a safe prayer. I think many folk think of prayer as magical--it's a temptation I often have to guard against.

    ReplyDelete