Friday, April 13, 2007

Life without flash

So, I've fallen in love with taking photographs without my flash. Weird, huh? What a dorky blog you read...

Flash can make the colors seem all wrong, or light up the wrong things, or make everything harsher. Like, here are some scilla down the street, taken with flash:

Here's the same shot, without flash:
Isn't that awesome???

Here's The BookShelf, the Seabury bookstore where I work a couple days a week, with flash:
The BookShelf, au naturel:
I suppose it could be called overexposed, but it looks warmer and more real to me. Often, taken a photo without flash means that you risk being blurry.
Like this:
But I guess I feel the light plays more of a role in the photo - like it's one of the subjects, instead of being manipulated by the flash. Mostly, I just like the colors better in a photo without flash.

There's probably some lesson about life here, but I think it might be too cheesey to unpack. So, I will leave it at face value.

Two more to illustrate how stark it can be:
With flash.
No flash.
(the refectory, after an event in January called Boar's Head) I couldn't believe that, in the first shot, you couldn't see a thing! But in the second, the electric lights light up the whole room, just fine.

4 comments:

  1. ah heidi... you always have that cheesemeter turned on!

    i had fun experimenting with flash/no flash in Germany this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make me wish i took pictures more often... we did, after all just get a lovely new camera for christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Photography is all about light: where it is, where it's not, how you bend it. It's not people/things you're photographing, but the light that reflects off them. Happy exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tagged you for a "six weird things about me" meme... it's the second post down on my blog at the moment.

    ReplyDelete