Friday, February 09, 2007

Waiting, between snow and tropical islands

My friend Mel is coming to visit this weekend, from Minnesota. She's a farmer for the park service. One of my farmer friends! I'm waiting for her to arrive. She doesn't have a cell phone, so I can't call her to see they are. I have to just wait. How old-fashioned.

Heather, my neighbor in Hyde Park, wants to volunteer to teach English abroad next year. She sent me a link to the blog of a woman volunteering in the Marshall Islands.
She lives on an atoll, in a hut made of palm branches on this gorgeous lagoon (see pic above, you can just make out her 65 sq. ft. hut on the left). She eats a lot of pancakes, ramen, and tuna most days. Still, swimming in the warm ocean every day might compensate. But she's so isolated - she's always writing about how the plane hasn't come. No phones, no internet. She also writes that the suicide rate there is quite high.

My hut.

I get romantic about remote places. Does everyone?

Mel's friend Shelly just called. They're almost here. Good thing, I'm getting hungry.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:26 PM

    Noted interest WT program in Marshall Islands.

    Suggest also review information at www.yokwe.net, particularly the Current Events and Education Forums, to get more information on all aspects of life in the RMI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heidi, my new blog is smallworldbigchurch.blogspot.com (I update there more, but it will probably be less personal.)

    I like this post--I also long for isolation sometimes. I think we all oscillate. I am in a "hunker down" period, but know that it will eventually end. I am especially enjoying church, because it is a community I am part of and right now I do not have to be a leader.

    ReplyDelete