Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

A few weeks ago, someone on the radio mentioned a Jewish tradition - I think it was for Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, but it may have been for Rosh Hashanah, the New Year. It's a piece of paper that you keep in your pocket:

One one side it reads:
For my sake the world was created.

One the other:
I am made of ashes and dust.

It can be a relief to remember that we're made of ashes and dust. We're human, humus, made of earth. We can't have everything under control or figured out. We screw up a lot, we hurt each other - through "the evil we have done and the evil done on our behalf" (sez the Book of Common Prayer). And yet, we have this beautiful world that God has put us in, we're surrounded by love and possibility, and we have some responsibility to take care of all of it.

2 comments:

  1. Eloquently put. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:30 PM

    Hey I went to mass for the first time tonight in about a bazillion years. Actually around a year. I'm cleaning up my act, so to speak. I feel sort of scrubbed out on the inside in a nice way. Decided to give up all forms of chocolate and hanky panky. Give me strength!

    Still hoping for no snow for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete