Friday, August 15, 2008

wedding gifts

Well, our wedding gifts have started trickling in! We got the ubiquitous Kitchen Aid mixer, and a set of heavy ceramic white plates and pasta bowls. They're very satisfying to handle and to eat from. (And hopefully they won't break easily.)

Early on, I felt strange registering for wedding gifts. I've been living on my own for 10 years now. I have a lot of stuff already (true, a lot of it is "student stuff.") But people have told me how much they enjoy giving something tangible to us as a sign of their support of our life together. And the feeling goes both ways -- our friend Jim said of one of his wedding presents: "You know, I haven't seen my old friend (Ed?) in years, but whenever I use our blender, I think of him and wonder what the heck he's doing."

It's nice to be remembered and feted as we take this step in our lives, and meaningful to make some of the people we love a literal part of our new home together.

No comments:

Post a Comment