I got to have Phil as my right hand man these past two weeks -- he read the gospel, he led the confession, he set the table, he counted communion wafers!!! he said the dismissal, and he even preached one Sunday. (Callie preached the second Sunday -- and let me tell you, they are both crackerjack preachers.) For two weeks, I got to share worship leadership with a deacon. It was great fun, although I started to feel like a lazybutt -- all I was doing was celebrating the Eucharist, for goodness' sake. And I'll really miss having someone count out wafers for me. I always mess that up, it seems.Farewell, Phil and Callie! Enjoy the rest of your vacation and have a safe trip back to Berkeley. (Phil is doing an MA, and Callie is looking for a job... and in six months, Phil will be ordained a priest, and SOMEDAY, Callie will get ordained, too.)
How exciting to see a picture of Phil all robed up. He was the one who told me all about YASC and got me excited about the idea of mission all of which ultimately led me to Mthatha, South Africa. And to think it happened quite by chance on a hot, June afternoon when he was giving me a ride to the north side.
ReplyDelete-Jesse