Friday, March 16, 2007

Hermitage

I had a fabulous retreat at this little house in western Illinois, on some woods and prairie in the middle of farmland. I took long walks, read, said the daily office, journaled, and just sat in contemplation - outside, inside, on the sunporch. It was super. The rolling hills were gorgeous, and I loved just being alone for three and a half days. I read a book by a man who lives as a hermit in the Ozarks. I ate on the little patio when it was nice. I saw lots of white-tailed deer, rabbits, birds, hawks, a badger, and field mice. Oh, and beef cattle. I also saw the remains of a few creatures who had been eaten by coyotes (a rabbit? a badger?). Life and death. I actually heard a coyote barking frenzy the first night I was there, makes me shiver. But I was pretty docile: I made bread and falafel, slept a lot, took pictures, and prayed about next year. More on that later.


The remains of one of those little creatures. Fur was spread over about a fifteen foot square area, and not a scrap of bone or any blood. It seemed so mysterious and awful. There was another patch of fur like this just down the hill from my house - white fur, so I could actually see it from the porch. A reminder that the world is not a peaceful place.

I love prairie.

The view from the house - that's the little chapel, across a creek, a former chicken coop.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! It's great that you used this time to indulge the solitary part of yourself.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for calling. thank God for your time away, but yet not away from God.

    ReplyDelete