Sunday, January 21, 2007

Heidi returns to judge Seabury v. Swift Hall

I think I'm afraid that if I post, people will actually read what I write.
Of course, right now, that's just Heather Antti. (Hi Heather!)

I've spent all fall getting used to this place.

And being at seminary is pretty much all-consuming. Not like divinity school, which feels more like a job or a hobby; all they expect of you is (1) reading and (2) writing. At seminary, you're part of things. For instance, I live across the street from the place, for goodness sake. I can peer in the library windows and listen to people's conversations in the parking lot. But more than that, I feel more essential to the workings of this school than I ever did at the divinity school: what I do, think, and initiate matters to the community. I can see the ripples.

Is it more like the "kingdom of God"? For all my skepticism about the academics here, there is something more life-and-death about the formation people do here. It hurts, it's personal, it's not just about reading and writing. For all the importance of reading primary sources, taking ideas seriously, and not getting mired in emotional gobblety-gook, I'm afraid there's more serious spiritual wrestling here at Seabury than at U of C. More Jesus, even. To the point that I'm not sure I could've stood three whole years here. How do people do it?

And yet, U of C has its own asceticism. I'm sure the balance in me between the two places of my formation will tilt back and forth all year.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:05 PM

    Hey, Heids! Glad to see a post from you! Sounds like you are getting perhaps more than you bargained for up there, but I think that's good prep for next year, and the year after and the year after. . .

    Keep up the good (if hard) work up there. I've been thinking about you and will write soon!

    ReplyDelete